This website contains references and links to data and reports of the biomedical research workforce.
The ACD provides advice to the NIH Director on matters pertinent to the NIH mission. Several ACD working groups have highlighted the composition of the biomedical workforce and have provided reports and recommendations for future enhancements.
- ACD Working Group on the Biomedical Research Workforce
- ACD Working Group on Diversity in the Biomedical Research Workforce
- ACD Working Group on the Physician-Scientist Workforce
Additional ACD working groups related to the biomedical research workforce are in progress.
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- American Physician Scientists Association (APSA)
- Council of Graduate Schools (CGS)
- Graduate STEM Education for the 21st Century (2018)
- The impact of postdoctoral training on early careers in biomedicine (2017)
- Predictors of Student Productivity in Biomedical Graduate School Applications (2017)
- The Limitations of the GRE in Predicting Success in Biomedical Graduate School (2017)
- Using Longitudinal Data on Career Outcomes to Promote Improvements and Diversity in Graduate Education (2016)
- The Impact of NIH Postdoctoral Training Grants on Scientific Productivity (2011)
- Careers of an elite cohort of US basic life science postdoctoral fellows and the influence of their mentors' citation record (2010)
- An institutional post-doctoral research training program: Predictors of publication rate and federal funding success of its graduates (2009)
- National Institutes of Health Career Development Awards for Cardiovascular Physician-Scientists: Recent Trends and Strategies for Success (2015)
- Outcome Evaluation of the National Cancer Institute Career Development Awards Program (2013)
- Career Outcomes of the Graduates of the American Board of Internal Medicine Research Pathway, 1995-2007 (2013)